*** Weather Alert – Winter Weather and Coastal Flood Advisories ***
The National Weather Service has issued the below Winter Weather and Coastal Flood Advisories for our area (Ocean County) beginning this evening, March 6th, 2018, and remaining in effect until 3:00 p.m. EST tomorrow (Wednesday), March 7th, 2018.
LOCATIONS…Coastal areas of Middlesex County, Monmouth County and Ocean County.
* COASTAL FLOODING…Minor flooding is anticipated around the time of the midday high tide on Wednesday.
* TIMING….High tide on the oceanfront occurs between 11:00 PM and 12:00 AM tonight. High tide on the oceanfront occurs between 11:00 AM and 12:00 PM Wednesday. The Wednesday midday
high tide is expected to have the highest of the two tides. High tide on the back bays and on Raritan Bay occurs later than the high tide on the oceanfront.
* SURGE…Around 2.5 feet above the astronomical tide.
* WAVES…From 6 to 12 feet on the ocean.
* IMPACTS….Roadways flooding is expected. Some roads may be closed due to high water. A long period easterly swell will continue to cause additional beach erosion.
A Coastal Flood Advisory means that minor tidal flooding is expected. Minor Tidal flooding often results in some road closures. Usually…the most vulnerable roadways will flood.
Do not leave your vehicle at a location that is prone to tidal flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flood waters. The water may be deeper than you think it is. You will be putting yourself in danger and your vehicle may be damaged…leading to costly repairs.
Lacey Township residents living in the low-lying affected areas may voluntarily park their vehicles in Gille Park, located at 102 Manchester Avenue in Forked River. All affected residents that wish to park their vehicles in Gille Park should park in the middle parking lot, adjacent to the playground and basketball court. Please ensure that your vehicle is locked. Thank you.
– Chief Michael C. DiBella