August 13th thru August 19th, 2013
- Forgery & Theft (Arrest) – On Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 25-year-old Brittany Gibson of Parkside Drive in Forked River was arrested and charged with two counts of fraudulent use of a credit card, forgery, and theft. The arrest stemmed from a report filed by Joseph Mazza of Leeward Court in Bayville on Monday, August 5, 2013, that Brittany Gibson stole his TD Bank Debit Card and used it to make a $100 purchase at Wawa (Forked River) and a $100 purchase at Walmart (Lanoka Harbor). He also reported that she stole a Waterford Crystal decanter from his vehicle. As a result of the investigation, Brittany Gibson arrested, processed and charged with the criminal offenses. Brittany Gibson was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in default of $30,000 bail.
- Criminal Mischief & Trespassing – On August 15, 2013, at 8:15 a.m., Special Officer Moller responded to the Gille Park Skate Park in reference to criminal mischief to the skate park equipment. The damage is believed to have occurred during the overnight hours after the Township parks are closed and the gates locked. The damage was caused nightly at the skate park between at least Sunday, August 11, 2013 and Wednesday, August 14, 2013. It is evident that the persons responsible are destroying the fencing to enter the skate park with bicycles and subsequently damaging the equipment as well.
- Burglary & Theft – On Tuesday August 13, 2013, at 4:29 p.m., a resident of Glen Oak Drive in Forked River reported that someone stole jewelry from her home sometime between July 21, 2013 and August 1, 2013. The jewelry reported stolen included a yellow gold wedding band and a one carat diamond solitaire yellow gold ring. No signs of forced entry were located. The total value of the stolen jewelry is $3,900.
- Disorderly Conduct & Theft (Formal Charges) – On Thursday, August 15, 2013, at 2:00 a.m., a male subject entered the 7-11 Store on Lacey Road and Holmes Avenue North in Forked River and purposely knocked over all of the items on a shelf then picked up a food item and walked out of the store without paying for the item. The matter was not reported to the police department until the late morning hours (7 hours later). Video tape evidence led to the identification of the responsible subject. Juvenile charges have been signed against the 16-year-old, Forked River male for both disorderly conduct and shoplifting.
- Use of CDS & Lewdness (Formal Charges) – On Thursday, August 15, 2013, at 2:18 a.m., Officer Resetar responded to Lake Barnegat Drive North in reference to a naked male running down the roadway. Officer Resetar located the juvenile suspect who appeared to be under the influence of drugs. The suspect appeared to be hallucinating and was not initially cooperative. The juvenile’s parents were notified, and he was transported to Community Medical Center by Officer Resetar. Juvenile charges are pending.
- Hindering Apprehension, Possession of Heroin, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (Arrest) – On Wednesday, August 14, 2013, Officer Donahue conducted a motor vehicle stop on Penn Avenue North near Stueben Avenue in Forked River. The driver, 32-year-old Jason P. Corliss, provided Officer Donahue with false information, including a false name and false date of birth. Further investigation led to the discovery of multiple warrants for his arrest. He was arrested and a search incident to the arrest uncovered heroin. Jason P. Corliss was charged with hindering his own apprehension, possession of heroin, and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was lodged in the Ocean County Correctional Facility in default of $15,000 bail as well as the no bail Ocean County Sheriff’s Department warrant.
- Criminal Mischief (Township Property) – On Thursday, August 15, 2013, at 11:34 p.m., Special Officer Horton discovered damage to the Hebrew Park men’s room towel dispenser. Profanity and images were carved into the dispenser. Damage is estimated at $50.
- Warrant Arrest – Special Officer Horton conducted a traffic stop on Route 9 North. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the driver, 21-year-old Brooke O’Rourke of Briggs Avenue North in Forked River, had an active $240 warrant out of the Pine Beach Municipal Court. Brooke O’Rourke was arrested, processed, and released after posting bail. She also received summonses for driving while suspended, driving an uninsured motor vehicle, and driving with a suspended registration. The vehicle was impounded for suspended registration and no insurance.
- Internet Fraud Alert – On Friday, August 16, 2013, at 12:51 p.m., a resident of Forked River reported that on Thursday, August 15th, 2013, he observed that his home computer was locked (frozen) with an unusual message across the monitor. The message stated, “Prism Computer Prosecution Section” and underneath that it stated, “Your computer has been locked due to suspicion of illegal content downloading and distribution.” The message also indicated that the matter could be “resolved” without issue if he paid a fine of $300. The message stated that he should pay the $300.00 utilizing “Moneypak”, and that he could purchase the voucher elsewhere and then enter the bar code into the computer message to unlock it. The complainant contacted his Internet provider and learned that the incident was actually a recent computer virus going around and was not legitimate.
- Hit & Run MVA, DUI, Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (Arrest) – On Saturday, August 17, 2013, at 12:52 a.m., Special Officer Horton observed a vehicle fail to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of Lake Barnegat Drive North onto Haines Street in Lanoka Harbor. The vehicle then proceeded eastbound on Haines Street where it began to drive in the wrong lane of travel towards on-coming traffic. Special Officer Horton was traveling westbound on Haines Street and had to swerve out of the way of the vehicle in order to avoid an accident. Officer Horton turned around and stopped the vehicle in the parking lot of Walmart. The vehicle also had “fresh” damage to the front end indicating that it had just been involved in an accident. The vehicle was being driven by 18-year-old Gregory J. Fenton of Dugout Drive in Lanoka Harbor. It was determined that Gregory Fenton struck a vehicle parked in front of a residence on Adolphus Street in Forked River and left the scene without reporting the accident. Gregory Fenton appeared to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Field sobriety tests were conducted at the scene and Gregory Fenton was arrested for DUI. A white, powdery substance and a pen tube commonly used for inhaling CDS were seized. Gregory Fenton was transported to police headquarters where he was processed and released. Gregory Fenton was issued criminal charges for possession of CDS and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was also issued motor vehicle summonses for DUI, underage DUI, possession of CDS in a motor vehicle, failure to stop, reckless driving, failure to maintain lane, failure to exhibit registration, failure to exhibit a valid insurance card, and probationary license holder violation for driving after hours.
- Burglary & Theft (Residence) – On Saturday, August 17, 2013, at 8:33 a.m., Officer Anderson responded to a residence on Surrey Court in Forked River for a report of theft. The resident reported that between June 5, 2013 and June 11, 2013, she was away on vacation and upon returning home she discovered that her Sentry key safe was partially pried open. The resident stated that some of her jewelry was missing. The value of stolen property is estimated at $9,000. There were no signs of forced entry to the residence.
- Warrant Arrest – On Saturday, August 17, 2013, at 11:29 a.m., Officer Jeffrey Slota observed Shannon Augustino walking in the area of Deerhead Lake Drive and Alpine Street in Forked River and believed that she had a warrant for her arrest. Upon further investigation, Shannon Augustino was arrested on an outstanding $750 Lacey Township Municipal Court Warrant and an outstanding $300 Lacey Township Municipal Court Warrant. Shannon Augustino was unable to post bail and was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility.
- DUI – On Saturday, August 17, 2013, at 8:19 p.m., Officers Anderson and Nick responded to the area of Anchorage Drive and Binnacle Road in Forked River for a report of a disoriented male in a vehicle. The vehicle was occupied by 60-year-old Martin A. Weaver of Forked River. It was determined that Martin Weaver was DUI. Officer Anderson arrested Martin Weaver for DUI and transported him to police headquarters. Martin Weaver received motor vehicle summonses for driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, and obstructing passage of other vehicles.
- Burglary & Theft (Residence) – On Sunday, August 18, 2013, at 2:39 p.m., Officer McKee responded to a Cambridge Road home in Lanoka Harbor in reference to a burglary and theft from a residence. The resident reported that sometime between June 24, 2013 and July 9, 2013, someone entered the residence and stole $5,500 worth of jewelry. The residence is currently listed for sale and there was no sign of forced entry.