- Underage Consumption of Alcohol (Formal Charges) – On Monday, August 5,, 2013, at 8:04 a.m., Officers Barcalow and Eden responded to Jay Street in Forked River for a report of an intoxicated juvenile female in the roadway. Officers located the juvenile and confirmed that she was intoxicated and in need of medical attention due to her intoxication level. The juvenile was transported for treatment at the Community Medical Center in Toms River. As a result of the investigation it was determined that the consumption of alcohol occurred at a residence on Claire Road in Forked River and that the alcoholic beverages were provided by a male juvenile. The intoxicated female juvenile was charged with underage consumption of alcoholic beverages on private property and the male juvenile was charged with providing alcoholic beverages to a juvenile.
- Criminal Mischief (Arrest) – On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, at 2:59 a.m., Officer Gudgeon responded to the Walmart in Lanoka Harbor for Criminal Mischief done to a parked in the lot between the hours of 12:30 a.m. – 2:30 a.m. The car sustained yellow colored spray paint on several areas of the vehicle. The investigation revealed that 22-year-old, Robert Baker of Whitcomb Road in Forked River purchased the spray paint within the store and then spray painted the parked vehicle in the parking lot. Robert Baker was arrested and charged with Criminal Mischief and released.
- Lewdness (Arrest) – On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, at 6:48 p.m., Officers May and McKee responded to an East Lacey Road residence for a report of a male subject exposing himself while urinating on the property. Officers identified the suspect as 26-year-old, Francisco Garcia of Forked River. Francisco Garcia was arrested, charged with Lewdness, and released on a summons.
- Criminal Mischief – On Thursday, August 8, 2013, at 6:14 p.m., Officer Abrecht responded to a residence on Peach Tree Lane in Forked River for Criminal Mischief that occurred between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on August 8, 2013. A wooden fence securing an area of the property was knocked down and the damage is estimated at $30.
- Warrants (Arrest) – On Thursday, August 8, 2013, at 8:41 p.m., Special Officer Travis Horton responded to a motor vehicle accident and found that one of the drivers had outstanding warrants for weapons possession, aggravated assault, and bad checks. Arrested was 49-year-old James R. Magee of Hancock Avenue in Bayville. He was lodged in Ocean County Jail.
- Drug Distribution (Arrests) – On the evening of Thursday, August 8, 2013, detectives of the Lacey Township Police Department arrested seven individuals during a narcotics investigation. Detectives witnessed a male and a female exiting a home on Chelsea Street in Forked River recently suspected of drug distribution. A field inquiry of the two individuals and a third man meeting with them led to their arrests. Christopher Williams, 38 years-of-age from Manahawkin, was arrested for an outstanding $32,000 child support warrant. During his arrest, Christopher Williams was found to be in possession of heroin intended to be distributed to a third individual, 47-year-old Darrell Salter of Forked River. Darrell Salter was arrested and charged with Loitering to Obtain a Controlled Dangerous Substance (CDS). Christopher Williams was charged with Possession of Heroin and Intent to Distribute Heroin. Christopher Williams was lodged in the Ocean County Jail in lieu of the bail on the warrant, while Salter and Fagan were released on their own recognizance pending a court appearance. The third suspect, 18-year-old Katherine Fagan of Lanoka Harbor, was arrested and charged with Possession of Heroin. Several hours later, detectives executed a search warrant at 650 Chelsea Street in Forked River. During the search, 132 folds containing heroin were discovered along with numerous hypodermic syringes. The findings led to four additional arrests inside the home. The homeowner, 24-year-old Shannon Augustino of Forked River, was charged with Possession of Hypodermic Syringes. David Bond, 24, of Little Egg Harbor was charged with Possession of Heroin and Possession of a Hypodermic Syringe. Shannon Augustino and David Bond were released on a summons pending a court appearance. Another individual, 30-year-old Jesse Morrell of Toms River, was arrested for three outstanding warrants issued from Point Pleasant, Lacey, and Washington Township Municipal Courts. Jesse Morrell was lodged in the Ocean County Jail in lieu of $1,500 bail. An additional arrest of 50-year-old Steven Concannon of Forked River was also made at the residence. Steven Concannon was charged with Possession of Heroin, Intent to Distribute Heroin, and Intent to Distribute CDS within 1000’ of the Lacey Township Middle School. Steven Concannon was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in default of $50,000 cash bail. Assistance was obtained from the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Special Operations Group and a K-9 Unit from the Ocean Township (Waretown) Police Department. Lacey Patrol Officers Andrew Slota and Alan Abrecht assisted with the warrant execution.
- Failing to Register under Megan’s Law (Arrest) – At 8:00 a.m. on Friday, August 9, 2013, Officer Darrell Nick of the Lacey Township Police Department conducted an investigation into a suspicious male who was reportedly living in the wooded area near the McDonald’s Restaurant in Lanoka Harbor. The man was located and identified as 55-year-old Norman Myers of Canyon Country, California. Computer inquiries led to the discovery of multiple NCIC warrants from California and Illinois; yet none of the warrants allowed for extradition. While Norman Myers was not subject to arrest and incarceration for the out-of-state NCIC warrants, further investigation revealed that he was in violation of New Jersey’s Sex Offender Registration law for failing to properly register. Norman Myer was placed under arrest by Officer Darrell Nick, processed, and lodged in the Ocean County Correctional Facility in lieu of $10,000 bail.
- DUI (Arrest) – At 2:26 a.m. on August 10, 2013, Officer Dimitri Tsarnas of the Lacey Township Police Department conducted a motor vehicle stop on Lacey Road near Holmes Avenue. The motor vehicle stop led to the arrest of 50-year-old Judy Petersen of Vivas Drive in Barnegat for driving under the influence of alcohol. Additional motor vehicle summons were issued for reckless driving and failure to maintain lane.
- Attempted Burglary of Residence – On Friday, August 9, 2013, a resident of Sweetwood Drive in Forked River reported a possible attempted burglary of his residence. The homeowner reported that sometime during the past week, an unknown person or persons attempted to pry open the front door of the residence. The homeowner located pry marks on the front door as well as fresh scratches around the door jamb area and door knob. No entry was made; however the damage was estimated at approximately $100.
- Criminal Mischief to a Vehicle – At 4:32 a.m. on August 11, 2013, Officer George Resetar responded to a residence on South Street regarding criminal mischief to a motor vehicle. The victim, a resident of Manahawkin, informed Officer Resetar that her vehicle, a green 2003 Nissan Altima, was damaged while parked on South Street. The front driver’s side window was shattered out, and two large dents were made to the driver’s side doors. The estimated cost of damage to the vehicle is $1000.
- DUI MVA (Formal Charge) – On Sunday, August 11, 2013, at 6:38 p.m., Officer Robert Flynn and Officer Jeffrey Slota investigated a motor vehicle accident on Route 9 near the intersection of Jones Road. The initial witness statements suggested a white BMW was involved in the accident with a motorcyclist, after which, the white BMW reportedly fled the scene. The motorcyclist, 53-year-old Michael Kovacs of Lacey Road in Forked River, suffered injuries that required him to be flown via helicopter to Jersey Shore University Medical Center. With the help of the public after the information was posted through the police department website, the white BMW was identified and quickly determined to not have been involved in the motor vehicle accident. Members of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Fatal Accident Support Team (FAST) responded to assist in the investigation. As a result of the investigation, Michael Kovacs is being charged with DUI.
- Shoplifting (Arrest) – On Sunday, August 11, 2013, at 12:54 a.m., Officer Charles May arrested Roseanne Speciale of Western Boulevard in Lanoka Harbor for shoplifting $22 worth of merchandise from Walmart. She was transported to police headquarters, processed, and released on a summons.
- Drug Overdose – On Sunday, August 11, 2013, at 7:35 p.m., officers responded to a residence on Joffre Road for a possible drug overdose. A 37-year-old, Forked River male who was visiting the residence became unresponsive and stopped breathing. Officers performed CPR and the patient regained a pulse. The man was transported to the hospital. The investigation uncovered paraphernalia including a hypodermic needle and stainless steel spoon.
- DUI (Arrest) – On Monday, August 12, 2013, at 8:04 p.m., Officer Barcalow responded to the area of Harrison Avenue and Elwood Street for a report of a suspicious vehicle in the area. Officer Barcalow located the vehicle driving in the area. Upon investigation, 36-year-old Keith Glover of Center Street in Forked River was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI). In addition, he was charged with reckless driving and having an open container of alcohol in his motor vehicle.
- Vehicular Assault (Arrest) – On Monday, August 12, 2013, at 3:05 p.m., Officer Keith Pearce handled a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Route 9 and Hollywood Boulevard in Forked River. A vehicle operated by 28-year-old Samuel Ramirez-Gonzalez of Long Branch struck a vehicle operated by 65-year-old David Alexander of Waretown. Alexander was traveling southbound on Route 9 when Samuel Ramirez-Gonzalez passed a stopped vehicle at the stop sign on Hollywood Boulevard and proceeded to travel into the path of David Alexander. David Alexander suffered serious injuries and was transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center. Samuel Ramirez-Gonzalez was determined to be unlicensed and was arrested for the crime of vehicular assault for driving recklessly and causing serious bodily injury to another. Samuel Ramirez-Gonzalez posted $2,500.00 bail and was released.
- Warrants (Arrest) – On Monday, August 12, 2013, at 5:32 p.m., while investigating a separate incident, Officer May arrested 43-year-old Steven Gonzalez of Laurel Boulevard for several outstanding warrants. He was lodged in Ocean County Jail on the warrants.