Weekly Police Blotter – Press Release
August 27, 2013 thru September 3, 2013
During the Summer of 2013, between the dates of July 1st thru August 31st (62 day period), the Lacey Township Police Department responded to and handled 6,103 calls-for-service. Officers of the police department made 214 physical arrests of which 51 were drug arrests with 9 arrests for Distribution of CDS in Lacey Township and 32 arrests for DUI.
Aug. 27, 2013 thru Sept. 3, 2013
- Burglary, Theft, and Criminal Mischief (Shed) – On Tuesday, August 27, 2013, at 9:47 a.m., Officer Adam Ewart responded to the 600 block of Clairmore Avenue in Lanoka Harbor for a burglary and theft. The victim reported that sometime between Monday, August 19, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. and Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 9:00 a.m., an unknown person pried the lock off of her shed causing approximately $25 in damage. Two shovels valued at $25 each were stolen.
- Drug Possession and Warrants (Arrest) – On Tuesday, August 27, 2013, at 12:29 a.m., Officer Alan Abrecht observed three male subjects sleeping on the playground equipment at Bud Mezera Park on Lakeside Drive South in Forked River. One of the subjects, 20-year-old Jacob Barney of Spruce Street in Forked River, had three (3) outstanding warrants for his arrest. Two of the warrants were from the Lacey Township Municipal Court in the amount of $1,000 each, and the other warrant was from the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department in the amount of $532. Jacob Barney was arrested and found to be in possession of four hypodermic syringes, two glassine wax folds containing heroin, a small plastic bag containing cocaine, and a glass smoking device containing burnt marijuana. Jacob Barney was charged with Possession of CDS and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Jacob Barney was processed at police headquarters then transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility in lieu of his warrants and default of additional bail set at $10,000 for the CDS charges. In addition, Jacob Barney was issued a summons for being located in a township park after hours. The remaining two male subjects at the park, identified as 18-year-old Hector Cabellos, Route 9 N in Lanoka Harbor and 20 year-old Joseph Ferenc of Capstan Drive in Forked River, were each issued a summons for being located in a township park after hours. Hector Cabellos and Joseph Ferenc were released at the scene.
- Drug Possession (Arrest) – On Tuesday, August 27, 2013, at 6:02 p.m., Officer Robert Flynn was dispatched to the 900 block of Center Street for a report of female outside that was smoking marijuana. Upon his arrival, Officer Flynn observed a 16-year-old juvenile female smoking marijuana from a bong just outside the residence. The items were seized and juvenile complaints were prepared charging the juvenile female with Possession of Marijuana and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.
- Resisting Arrest, Obstructing the Administration of Law, and Harassment – On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 12:52 a.m., Officers Robert Flynn and John McKee responded to the 1700 block of Lakeside Drive South in reference to a dispute between the homeowner, identified as Pamela Patterson and a tow truck driver over a repossession of a vehicle. Upon his arrival, Officer Flynn met with both parties and observed the vehicle already hooked up with the tow truck operator having taken possession of the vehicle. While investigating the incident, 41-year-old Pamela Patterson, Lakeside Dr South, Forked River, attempted to get the car keys back from the tow truck driver who was repossessing the vehicle. When she could not get the keys, she began to shove the tow truck driver in the presence of Officer Flynn. After several warnings to Pamela Patterson to stop, Officer Flynn intervened and informed Pamela Paterson she was under arrest. Pamela Patterson physically resisted arrest and continued in her attempt to assault the tow truck driver. Officer Flynn took Pamela Patterson into custody. She was transported to police headquarters. Pamela Patterson was processed and later released upon receiving criminal summonses for Resisting Arrest, Obstructing the Administration of Law, and Harassment (pushing and shoving the tow truck driver).
- Burglary and Criminal Mischief (Residence) – On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 9:57 a.m., Officer John Cernek responded to the 700 block of Palm Beach Drive in Forked River for a criminal mischief report. The victim reported that sometime between Wednesday, August 14, 2013, and Monday, August 26, 2013, an unknown person(s) entered the residence and cut the copper water pipe on the top of the hot water heater. Water flooded and damaged the interior of the residence. There were no signs of forced entry; however, the homeowner believes entry might have been made via a rear window. Damage is estimated at several thousand dollars.
- Internet Fraud Alert – On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 6:56 p.m., Officer Julie Barcalow responded to the 400 block of Chestnut Drive in Lanoka Harbor for a fraud report. The resident reported that she received an unusual message on her computer stating that she had accessed child porn and her computer was going to be locked until she paid the fine by purchasing a green dot card and sending it for payment. The resident realized it was a scam or a virus and did not send any funds. There was a similar incident reported on August 16, 2013.
- Warrant (Arrest) – On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 3:54 p.m., Special Officer Jesse Urban conducted a traffic stop on Manchester Ave. The driver, 48-year-old David Rosenblatt of Radio Road in Little Egg Harbor, was arrested for an outstanding Asbury Park warrant in the amount of $220. He was transported to headquarters, posted full bail, and was released.
- Municipal Ordinance Violation (formal charge) – On Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 4:35 p.m., Special Officer Jesse Urban was patrolling Bud Mezzera Park, 1400 Lakeside Dr South, Forked River, when he observed adults standing on the toddler playground equipment. The equipment had specific visible signs stating that the equipment was for use by children only. The three adults, identified as 19-year-old Catherine Wollner of Kentwood Blvd in Bricktown, 22-year-old Paul J. Illingworth of Claire Road in Forked River, and 23-year-old Hector Ceballos, Route 9 N in Forked River, were all issued summonses charging them with misuse of park equipment. They were released at the scene.
- Theft (Residence) – On Thursday, August 29, 2013, at 3:22 p.m., Officer John Cernek responded to the 1200 block of Taylor Lane in Forked River for a theft of an air conditioner unit from the yard. The residence is vacant and it is unknown exactly when the theft occurred. The total value of the theft is estimated at $4000.
- Warrants (Arrest) – On Friday, August 30, 2013, at 9:35 a.m., Detective Lieutenant Christopher Cornelius, Detective Brian Flynn, and Officer Adam Ewart, responded to Southwinds Marina, 362 East Lacey Road, Forked River, to serve several warrants. Upon arrival, officers met with 36-year-old Dean Rado of Belmont Drive in West Milford, NJ, and placed him under arrest on several outstanding warrants. Warrant number one (1) was a no-bail warrant from Morris County Sherriff’s Department; warrant number two (2) was a no-bail warrant from Somerset County Sheriff’s Department; warrant number three (3) was a Passaic County Sheriff’s Department warrant for child support in the amount of $51,050; warrant number four (4) was a Dumont Warrant for $1,000.00; and warrant number five (5) was a Wanaque Boro Warrant for $565. He was later turned over to the custody of Somerset County Sheriff’s Department.
- Theft (Business) – On Friday, August 30, 2013, at 11:33 a.m., Officer Russell Moller responded to Latitude’s Restaurant, 361 East Lacey Rd, Forked River, for a theft report. The complainant reported that sometime between 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28, 2013, and 7:00 a.m. on Friday, August 30, 2013, an unknown person(s) stole seven (7) flags valued at $150 each. Total theft is $1,050.
- Warrant (Arrest) – On Friday, August 30, 2013, at 7:43 p.m., Officer John McKee responded to 344 Route 9 N in Forked River for a dispute. Investigation at the scene led to the arrest of 38-year-old Christopher M. Bozarth of Route 9 in Waretown for two (2) outstanding warrants. Warrant number one (1) was issued out of Northumberland County Probation Department in the State of Pennsylvania, with full extradition; and warrant number two (2) was a $383 Lacey Township Warrant. Christopher Bozarth posted bail on the Lacey Township Warrant. He was then transported to the Ocean County Correctional facility to await Northumberland County.
- Warrant (Arrest) – On Friday, August 30, 2013, at 8:44 p.m., Officer Robert Flynn conducted a traffic stop on Haines Street in Lanoka Harbor. The driver, 50-year-old Cheryl L. Gebhardt, was arrested on an outstanding Oakhurst Warrant in the amount of $165. She was transported to headquarters, posted full bail, and was later released.
- Criminal Mischief and Theft from Businesses (Formal Arrests) – On Saturday, August 31, 2013, at 2:12 a.m., this agency was contacted by Lacey Township Police Officer Dimitri Tsarnas, who was working as a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) at a DUI Checkpoint detail in Brick, NJ, with the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. During the checkpoint in Brick, officers confronted 21-year-old Daniel Disbro of Chestnut Street in Waretown and 20-year-old William McMinnimin of Route 9 in Waretown. Both subjects drove into the checkpoint and were in possession of several air conditioner condenser coils in their vehicle. Investigation at the scene led to the arrest of both subjects for the theft and criminal mischief incidents that occurred previously in Lacey Township. Three of those incidents occurred on earlier that evening on Friday night, August 30, 2013. The locations and incidents are as follows:
- Incident #1 occurred at Ace Dewatering, 706 Old Shore Road, Forked River (Lacey Business Park) on Friday, August 30, 2013. During this incident, the subjects attempted to steal the air conditioner condenser coils and while doing caused more than $2,000 worth of damage. They were charged with Criminal Mischief.
- Incident #2 occurred at
Joseph H. Roberts Inc, Old Shore Road, Forked River (Lacey Business Park) on Friday, August 30, 2013. The subjects were charged with theft for stealing air conditioner condenser coils valued at more than $500 and Criminal Mischief for causing more than $2,000 worth of damage.
- Incident #3 occurred at Plastics for Chemicals, 710 Old Shore Road, Forked River (Lacey Business Park) on Friday, August 30, 2013. The subjects were charged with Theft for stealing air conditioner condenser coils valued at more than $500 and Criminal Mischief for causing more than $2,000 in damage.
- Incident #4 occurred at the office of Tom Morrissey, CPA, 623 Lacey Road, Forked River. During this incident, the subjects damaged the air conditioners in unsuccessfully attempting to steal the coils. They were each charged with Criminal Mischief for causing more than $2,000 in damage.
- Incident #5 occurred at the Lacey Moose Lodge, 305 Route 9 North, Forked River, which occurred on Wednesday, August 28, 2013. Both subjects were charged with Theft in an amount more than $500 and Criminal mischief for causing damage more than $2,000.
- Incident #5 occurred at Best Impressions Dental Office, 321 Lacey Road, Forked River, which occurred between Thursday, August 22, 2013 and Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Both subjects were charged with Theft in an amount more than $500 and Criminal Mischief for causing more than $2,000 in damage.
Both of the above subjects were lodged in the Ocean County Jail in lieu of $75,000 bail each. Additional charges are pending against both subjects for providing false information to law enforcement officers.
- DUI Arrest – On Saturday, August 31, 2013, at 2:09 p.m., Officer Noah Schaffer conducted a traffic stop on Binnacle Road in Forked River. The driver, 55 year-old Nina Sherwood of Forked River was arrested for DUI. She was transported to police headquarters and processed. Nina Sherwood was later released after receiving summonses for DUI, DUI Breath Test Refusal, Reckless Driving, and Failure to Exhibit Documents. The vehicle Nina Sherwood was operating was impounded as per John’s Law.
- Underage Consumption of Alcohol (Arrest) – On Saturday, August 31, 2013, at 9:49 p.m., Officer Andrew Slota observed two subjects in front of the Lacey Library at 10 East Lacey Road in Forked River. Upon further investigation, Officer Slota observed a bottle of open alcohol. One of the subjects, identified as 20 year-old Joseph Ferenc of Capstan Drive in Forked River was charged with Underage Consumption of Alcohol.
- Warrant (Arrest) – On Sunday, September 1, 2013, at 11:13 a.m., Special Officer Travis Horton conducted a traffic stop on Deerhead Lake Drive in Forked River. The driver, identified as 26-year-old David P. Hynes of Mandarin Road in Brick, NJ, was arrested on an outstanding Brielle Borough warrant in the amount of $89. David Hynes was transported to headquarters, processed, and released after posting full bail.
- Harassment (Offensive Touching) – On Sunday, September 1, 2013, at 12:03 p.m., Sergeant Ronald Buxton and Officers Frederick Anderson and Noah Schaffer, responded to Gille Park Soccer Field for a soccer referee who was assaulted. The investigation determined that a juvenile male soccer player was unhappy with the referee’s call and as a result shoved him. The referee later responded to headquarters and signed a complaint against the 13-year-old juvenile male from West Long Branch, NJ, for Harassment (Offensive Touching).
- Warrant (Arrests) – On Monday, September 2, 2013, at 7:25 a.m., Detective Robert Surtees arrested 41-year-old Robert Despies of Lanoka Harbor outside of a Lacey Road business on two outstanding warrants. Warrant #1 was from the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department and was for $9,199.35. Warrant #2 was from the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Department and was for $17,912.13. Robert Despies was transported to the Ocean County Correctional Facility default of the bail.